Pages

Monday, April 28, 2014

Kindness is Key

Over the past few months, I found a new obsession: Tumblr.

Tumblr is honestly my favorite thing ever! For those of you who don't know what it is, it's basically just a website where people share their thoughts/feelings and artsy pictures. You can either create a text post, upload a picture, or reblog either of those. All the people that I follow just post artsy pictures and quotes. Tumblr is seriously so great because no matter what you say on there, no one will ever judge you. You can seriously express your feelings and reblog whatever pictures you like and no one will care. I love it so much!

So anyway, a few days ago, I came across this post that said, "Be nice to people because it's a shitty world and we all need a little help sometimes."

Lately, that quote has been my motto that I keep repeating in my head over and over.

This past weekend I was hanging out with some people. A few of these people are well known jerks. They started making fun of this one girl at school because she's "fat" and "lesbian". It honestly made me so angry because they don't even know her and have probably never said more than a word to her. 

Ever since then (along with another reason involving one of my best friends), I have been trying my hardest to talk to everyone and always be kind to everyone. You have absolutely no clue what those people are going through. You have no clue when they are going to break because of people making rude remarks about them. Sometimes, it's the tiniest things that count, the tiniest things can save people's lives. A simple, "Hey dude!" in the halls along with a smile, is all it takes to brighten someone's day. That smile is contagious, and it might be the only time that person smiles that day, even if it was forced. 

Everyone is fighting a battle that you know NOTHING about, whether it's self hatred, family problems, bullying, or small things like drama with friends. And that one snarky remark you make could push them over the edge.

So seriously, be nice to everyone, no matter who they are. Go out of your way to make someone smile, and talk to that kid that never has anyone to talk to.

Be the person that people want to be around. The one that cares more about their character than their reputation.

It's worth it, I promise.

Photo from Tumblr

Photo from Tumblr

1 comment: