Pages

Friday, November 15, 2013

A Man's TRUE Best Friend

It's a Friday night, and I'm stuck on my couch writing on my blog because I have procrastinated all week long, and I need to get this post done by tonight! So, I'm sitting here, watching Wife Swap, looking at blogs for inspiration, and cuddling with my dog thinking that I should really be hanging out with friends to start off my weekend rather than doing my homework. I mean after all, I am a teenager, right?
But then it hit me: my dog is sitting next to me instead of my friends, which seems kind of sad. But the more I think about it, the happier I am to be here with my dog watching TV.

Now see here's the difference between my dog and my friends: my dog chooses when she wants to hangout with me and when she doesn't, and she makes it pretty clear. With friends, I feel like half the time that we hangout we are doing it just to prove to people that we have friends to hangout with, and that totally sucks.

(By the way, sorry this isn't a total tumblr girl post, I will try to get more on topic next week, but this week I really wanted to write about this!"

Not too long ago when, Savannah got porcupined! 
Ever since I was little, I can't remember a day that I have not been able to come home to a wagging tail, always happy to see whoever walks through the door. I can't remember a single day that there wasn't someone to keep my feet warm at dinner, someone to just hangout with when my "friends" ditched me, and someone who's shoulder I could just cry a river onto when I needed to. I can't remember a single day that my dog(s) haven't been there for me. It sounds incredibly dumb, I know. But in all honesty, people are only there for you when they feel like they need to be. Dogs are the most loyal creatures I know of, and I have fallen in love with mine for the years that I have had them.

The first dog I can remember having around was Savannah. My mom, my sister, and brothers found Savannah at an adoption center in Salt Lake. As the years went by and she got older and began to go deaf, she would sleep through the music my brother blasted which just made her even more enjoyable. About 8 months ago, she had a stroke. . The vet said that she had a 15% chance of survival, but she pulled through. Sadly, just a few months ago, a lot of things started going wrong with her, and we then found out that she had a giant tumor inside her stomach, which made it unable for her to eat. We had to put her to sleep. I miss her so much, she was such great dog and I will never forget her.

Savannah on the left, Susie on the right. Sisters since the beginning.
Not too long after we adopted Savannah, we adopted a white spotted beast: Susie. We named her after the woman who rescued her when she was going to be put to sleep because she was "un-adoptable." When we first got her, she was the picture perfect dog. But soon enough her true colors began to show through, she barks at everything, pulls as hard as she can on the leash, and tears up just about everything. Susie's been through at least two run-ins with cars, and consequently had to have her tail chopped off, but I love her no matter how much stress she causes me! She's about 13 years old now, which means that her days are slowly coming to a close. :(





Roxy in southern Utah, photo credits to me!
       A few years after Susie was an official addition to the family, my sister and my mom came across a dog named "Lady" at the shelter. She just sat there quietly, hoping to be adopted while all the other dogs barked their heads off. They ended up getting her, and we renamed her Roxy, which suits her much better than Lady (trust me, she sure doesn't act like a lady). Roxy is the only dog I have ever had that will actually play with me, although she's not the best cuddler. I hate to say it, but Roxy is my favorite dog in the house right now!






This is Rex, sleeping on my mom's bed enjoying the sunlight.
The last adoption that we made was a small dog named Rex. We fostered him for Furburbia, and ended up adopting him. Rex isn't anything he might sound like he could be. You may be thinking that he's some big macho male dog that hasn't got a fear in the world, but he is exactly the opposite. Rex is from a puppy mill, so he's naturally afraid of pretty much every person he encounters, afraid that they are going to hit him or shove him into some small wire cage. He is afraid of almost every loud sound, and only displays a small amount of confidence when he is following Roxy around. Because Rex doesn't let me pet him, he's not very fun, but I still think he's pretty cute.


"A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. A waterlogged stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if you're rich or poor clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give 'em your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel... extraordinary?" -John Grogan
















1 comment:

  1. Dani, your post really spoke to me, especially the second paragraph. I know exactly what you mean! Dogs will always love you and never hold grudges on you or leave your side. Sometimes, I wish that my dogs were human beings because they would be picture perfect friends. They might have their flaws (like my dog, deEjaY) but they are so fun. They don't care what you look like or what you've done in the past, they love you for you. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete